Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday's Tips: Summer Activities


The troop year is winding down (cue the sound of leaders across the US cheering!). Many troops have scheduled year end awards ceremonies. The sumer months are the time for leaders to rest, recover, recharge & research (some troop leaders never know when to stop! Myself included!)

Unless you take your troop core camping, the girls in the troop don't see each other for those 3 months. How about scheduling 1 troop activity during the summer. No strict meeting, no structure, just time to give the girls to get together.

Here are a couple ideas:

  • Pool Party. (Remember to follow Safety Wise requirements - life guard on duty!) Buy a couple of pizzas and gather the girls at the local pool.
  • Bowling. This can happen rain or shine & everyone can be successful (with the bumpers). Let those patrols battle it out for a "trophy".
  • Roller or Ice Skating. Can seem a little individual at times, but the time off the rink/ice can be group time.
  • Local minor league baseball game. Our local teams offer sleepovers on the field! The troop gets to enjoy the game, movie & sleeping on the baseball field! How many people get to say that!
Enjoy your summer! Only 90 days until your next troop meeting!

6 comments:

  1. A Girl Scout Leader!! I'm so excited! I was in Girl Scouts through Cadets, and it was one of my favorite things I did growing up. I went to the summer camps each year, and have such fond memories.

    I think I saw a picture in your slideshow of the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace in Savannah - we did a bridging ceremony there, and it was awesome. What a beautiful place.

    Thank you for keeping girl scouts going - maybe I'll be a leader someday too. Right now, though, I only have a BOY!

    Have a great weekend, and thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks for stopping by my Popcorn and leaving the nice note regarding Goodwill. The nice folks at Goodwill let me go in the store and take photos before the crowd came plowing through.

    I'm now a follower of your blog and hope to read more soon.

    Take care,

    LIsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute ideas! My daughter is only 4 but I bet the activities will be starting up soon :)

    Thanks for finding me today. I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for finding me! following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ekk only 90 days and it's the end of summer. Geez I have to make most of the sunny days for here in MI we can get snow as early as October ^_^
    Terry, thank you for the following and visiting my blog from fabulously 40 I do appreciate it much. Happy weekend! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you back from NFF....so nice to meet you and welcome to blog land.

    ReplyDelete